Friends and Partners in ministry,
As many of you know I have been appointed a position with IVCF and will be planting new chapters at community colleges in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area. I will be starting at Washtenaw Community College. I have been working on gaining partnerships from friends, family and various churches to raise my financial support, along with prayer support and encouragement from those who agree about ministering to college students. (For more background on this please visit my www.toddjerdon.weebly.com).
A new development is that I have been accepted into the IVCF Chapter Planting Cohort! Please read the announcement below for more details. Along with this announcement, raising support has become even more urgent since it is contingent that I raise 90% of the $63,000 by early June. Please pray for me to reach this goal and if possible participate by helping me raise these needed funds.
Here is the letter as received....
I am pleased to tell you that you have been accepted into the current national Chapter Planting Cohort! Congratulations! Because you still need to raise quite a bit of your financial support, your appointment to the cohort is dependent on your getting to 90% of full support by this June. Your supervisor can tell you more about how that will work.
Thank you for all the work you have put into the application process.
The reports from the first four cohorts give us great encouragement. More than sixty plants are underway with over 2,000 new students involved. Almost 250 students have made conversion decisions through the ministry of these chapter plants. We are seeing the clear value of this cohort strategy, which combines training, coaching, funding, and creating a learning community. Soon your voices and experiences will be contributing as well!
Let me review the expectations for your participation in the cohort and clarify next steps.
Expectations for 2010 Cohort Members
First, we want you as cohort members to be willing to commit a minimum of three years to the plant and to be prepared to devote 90% of your ministry efforts to the new chapter launch.
Second, as cohort members you are expected to commit to the following:
1. Attend the course for chapter planters in Madison, June 30 through July 7, 2010
2. Work hard on summer fund development – ready to plant when school begins
3. Faithfully implement the Four Stage Launch and Planting Essentials strategies
4. Show eager responsiveness to your coach
5. Engage in monthly emails and phone calls with your coach
6. Keep your supervisor well informed of developments and decisions made with your coach
7. Host two on-site visits during the first year from your coach – including time with supervisor near the end of each visit
8. Report quarterly to national coordinator for the Planting Cohort (Jim Lundgren)
9. Attend the four-day cohort gathering in April of 2011 (with your coach)
What you need to do now:
First, if for some reason you and your supervisors are considering the possibility of you not going forward as a part of the 2010 Cohort, please let me know immediately. I provide the overall leadership and management for the Chapter Planting Cohorts.
At this point, your responsibilities are limited:
1. Register for the Chapter Planting course at NISET once registration is open.
2. Work hard on your fundraising for next year
3. Be praying for the campus where you are planting!
One other note: over the next month or so, we are working to secure all the coaches that we will need so that each of you has an outstanding person to support you (along with your AD/TL) as you plant next year. Please pray for us as we choose your coach.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Please email me back immediately letting me know your intent to join the next cohort and your commitment to the expectations listed above.
Again, we pray for God's Spirit to empower you in every way for this mission that you are preparing to undertake for the love of students and faculty and the glory of the Lord.
Warmly in Christ,
Director of Collegiate Ministries
Senior Vice President
InterVarsity Christian Fellowship
Here you will find updates, thoughts, discussion and prayers for my life and ministry...